Flavours of India - India Food Diary Part I

Flavours of India - India Food Diary Part I. What you should try when in India and where!  #India #Food #Sikkim #Gujarat #Odisha #Rajasthan

For me travel is not just a way of exploring a new place and learning about a place’s culture and history. Food is also a major part of a place that defines its history and culture in so many ways! Local cuisines tell you about local people’s habits and way of living at different points of time, kind of festivities important to the place, the kingdoms that thrived in a place, and so much more! And talking about festivities, with Durga Puja just gone by and Diwali right around the corner, I can only think of India and all the amazing food we have during festivals in India. So, this time, I am going to take you through India and tell you about local dishes from some of the states I have visited so far - dishes that you must definitely not miss and dishes that also have stories attached to them!


1.  Uttarakhand –

Bal Mithai (Source )
This state of quaint hills stations and sleepy towns in the shadow of Lower Himalayas has picked up cuisines from all its surrounding states but has made it its own in many! One such dish that it probably picked up from Punjab but gave it its own twist is Puri-Chole! Historically, Uttarakhand had two kingdoms, that eventually led to creation of two regions - Garwal and Kumaon. Puri-Chole was adopted by the Garwal region and added a serving of pumpkin curry, Aloo (potato) Gutke, (both authentic Garwal recipes) to make it their own. With time, this has become a loved street food of the entire state, but you should definitely try it out in Dehradun or Haridwar. While, Garwal region provides the main course, in early 20th century, Almora in the Kumaon region provided the dessert that you would not want to miss. Say hello to Bal Mithai (Kid’s sweet) – a sweet that can give chocolate fudge a run for its money. Bal Mithai looks like a chocolate fudge but is actually made by slow cooking khoya (dried whole milk) and topping it with small sugar pearls. Though, it is found all over the state, I had it in Nainital, and absolutely loved it.

2. Sikkim -

Momos
Blanket of mist on hilly slopes protecting rolling rice fields and tea gardens, silent emerald lakes and tumbling cold streams creating a symphony with roaring winds and chanting with prayer wheels. Oh, how I miss Sikkim! Yes, I miss the raw natural beauty of Sikkim and the beautiful monasteries there, but there are two more things from this state that I miss a lot - Momos and Gundruk Soup – my dinner every day during my trip to Sikkim!  I know, Momos are available all-around India now, but Sikkim can be called its “Gateway to India”. Tibetan culture and cuisine came to Sikkim in the 14th century, with the Chogyal Kingdom setting its roots in the state, making it the oldest Tibetan influenced area of India. And though not a lot of dishes from the Chogyal era stuck till the 21st century, Momos and Gundruk (fermented wild mustard and radish leaves) Soup are here to remind us of the bygone era and are a must try in Sikkim.  Apart from Tibetan heritage, with time Nepalese culture and cuisine also found its special place in Sikkim and has blended perfectly with its Tibetan heritage.  As a result, Sel Roti - which is a ring-shaped sweet bread and Khapse – which is a sweet biscuit, both fusion of Nepalese and Tibetan cuisine and made from rice flour, sugar and milk, are a must try in Namchi area.

3. Rajasthan –

Ghewar (source)
If you have gone to any Rajasthani restaurant, you must have tried or at least seen “Daal Baati Churma” in the menu. So how could you not have Daal Baati when in the state! Hit the local food joints in Jaipur, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer or Bikaner – one thing that would be common in all those places is this traditional meal where hard baked pearl millet (bajra) balls soaked in ghee is eaten with a spicy mix of five lentils. This famed Rajasthani dish was actually invented in Jodhpur to cater to needs to large armies with limited resources, but now this very dish has become a symbol of Rajasthan. Another authentic dish, or rather dessert, that you should not miss when in Rajasthan is Ghevar. This huge disc-shaped honeycombed cake soaked in sugar syrup and topped with pistachios was first made in Jaipur in late 1800s and has become an inseparable part of Teej and Gangaur. Oh! Also, try the Onion Kachori in Jodhpur and Ajmer – with caution – super spicy but super yum. Rajasthan sure has a ton of unique traditional street food that is now recognized and loved throughout India, but no state can compete with the range the next state in this list provides.

4. Gujarat –

Dhokla!
Remember the “Dokhla, Fafda, Handwa, Thepla, Khakhra”, dialogue from 3 Idiots? Sure, she calls them “dangerous sounding” but believe me, they are probably the best traditional snacks in India (after my favorite Idli). I lived in various places in Gujarat for 10 years, before moving to Mumbai so I have a special place for Gujarat and Kathiyawari food in my heart. Hence, I seriously can’t pick one out of these but would rather add more to the list – Khandvi, Muthia, and Patrode! In ancient times, Gujarat was a kingdom where most of the people thrived as traders, and all these snacks were developed to survive for days or weeks and were considered balanced meals with pickles. Today they are enjoyed as breakfast food or evening snacks throughout the country, but the love people have for these dishes in Manek Chowk (Ahmedabad), Karelibaug (Vadodara) Khaudra Gali (Surat) makes these places a must visit. And, since I mentioned Kathiyawari food – be sure to try out a traditional kathiyawari thali with Undhiyo and Sev-Tamatar nu sakh (sev tomato curry), you will not regret it! Ok, getting back on track, I cannot end the list without a dessert, and though most people would recommend shreekhand, my pick would be Mohanthal when in Gujarat! This high calorie fudge like sweet often floods the markets in Gujarat during Navratri and Diwali, and that is definitely the best time to get a bite of the traditional thal and all its interesting variations available these days.

5. West Bengal -

1
Jhalmuri at my place by my mom with her special touch - Pomegranate!
Whenever, I go to my office in New York City, my husband asks me to get Kolkata Kathi Roll from Thelewala or Kolkata Roll Company, that is the lure of the famous Kolkata Kathi Roll, or just Roll, like it is called in Kolkata. Back in British India era, kathi roll started out as the Indian competitor to British sandwiches and pies, early form of grab and go Indian food, believed to be the innovative idea of Nizam’s Restaurant which started making the rolls with its kababs. And no surprise, the roll struck the right chord with the public and is not just here but even thriving internationally after a century! But even after being available in a lot of states and countries these days, nothing beats the rolls in West Bengal. I can’t really spell out what is different; you really need to try it to know the difference! And while Roll was targeted towards the Britishers back in the days, Bengal came up with an equally (if not more) tasty grab and go snack for commoners of the time in form of Jhalmuri, which is another must when in West Bengal! Spicy lemony mix of puffed rice and flattened dry chickpea with tomato and onions – sounds simple, I know, but probably this simple nature of Jhalmuri is actually what makes it so yum. And if the spice gets too much for you, help yourself with a slice of Sandesh or Lady-Keni. Lady-Keni is dessert that is sort of a crossover between Rasgulla and Gulab Jamun (because it is sugar soaked fried reddish-brown cottage cheese ball) and was invented back in the 19th century in honor of Lady Canning’s wife. It is often compared to “Chenna Jilli” of Odisha and they do have similar flavor, but that just adds to the reasons why you must try it – three sweets in one, need I say more!

6. Odisha -

Platter of Pithas from Odisha
Though it is popularly believed that the technique of making cheese curds came to India in late 17th century, there are royal records in Odisha that mention dishes made with cheese curd as early as 15th century! Whether it was a gift from the Portuguese or not, cottage cheese or Chenna is an integral part of Odia cuisine. And since I started talking about Chenna Jilli, let me just say this – try out all the Chenna (cottage cheese) sweets from Odisha – Chenna Poda (slow baked sweet cottage cheese), Chenna Gaja, Chenna Kheera (Variation of rice pudding), Rasabali (chenna version of rasmalai) and Rasagola (assumed ancestor of Bengoli Rasgulla), all authentic Odiya dishes and all totally worth the calories! Also, to make things easy for you, you can gorge on all these desserts at the “Rasagola Village” of the state, Pahala (a small village between Bhubaneshwar and Cuttack). A lot of people do claim Salepur to have superior Chenna sweets, but since I have had the ones only in Pahala, I would recommend that. And since I hail from Odisha, I have a ton of other things to recommend (all part of traditional Odia Thali): Dalma, which is a lentils based curry with a lot of native boiled veggies, Badi Chura (my absolute favorite) – mixture of spices, garlic and fried crumble of sun dried lentil dumplings, Besara (mixed local vegetables cooked in mustard paste) and Pitha! Just like Chenna sweets, Odisha also has a plethora of Pitha (sweet and savory rice cakes and pancakes) – Khakra, Manda, Pauda, Arisa, Tala and so many more, and all absolutely worth trying!

Rasagola from Odisha
Obviously, there are a lot more dishes in each of these states like Crab Curry from Odisha, Sorso Illish from West Bengal, Ghari from Gujarat, Papad Sabzi from Rajasthan, Baadi from Uttarakhand and so many more. All unique, traditional, and totally worth trying but the ones that I mentioned were some you just shouldn’t miss when in these states! Next time, I will continue with some more dishes from some more states of India. Till then, let me know in the comments below if you have tried any of these, or want to try them, or if I have missed some must have dishes from these states.


Flavours of India - India Food Diary Part I. What you should try when in India and where!  #India #Food #Sikkim #Gujarat #Odisha #Rajasthan
Liked this post? Pin It!!!


Comments

  1. I made the mistake of reading this while hungry and now I can't get these images out of my head. I like what you said about how food tells a lot about a culture and habits. Food is such a huge part of exploring new places for me. And as a vegan I am always pleasantly surprised by the natural and plant-based ways of many Indian dishes. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the post! And like you said, the reason I too am so taken with Indian dishes is because of the sheer variety - vegetarians, vegans, non vegetarians - everyone can find something to love from Indian cuisine.

      Delete
  2. I must sadly admit that I am not very adventurous with new foods when we travel. Good thing my husband is my taste tester and will try just about anything. Neither of us like spicy foods so it was great to find options on this blog post that we would actually try. Especially the desserts! That Kolkata Kathi Roll looks so tasty and healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I too was not very open to trying new food till some years back, but a trip to Sikkim when I was in 11th grade changed it and for good! Also, I still can't eat spicy food at all but have a sweet tooth and totally take advantage of that :D Hopefully you guys get to try some nice desserts I mentioned in this post when you plan a trip to India!

      Delete
  3. Ah, your post made me so hungry! I'm drooling for some of these dishes, especially the Sikkim. They look a lot like dumplings and I assume they must be very tasty. I agree with you that food is a very important part of a place and it defines both the history and culture of a country in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! And yes, Momos are dumplings and they are super yum! :D

      Delete
  4. Gurrrll, I travel for food, so I can totally relate! But although I have been to India multiple times, I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't tried any of these (except momo, which I had in Nepal). Looks like I need to visit India again, and do it properly this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, food can be the reason for your next visit to India! And son't worry it is such a big country that even with food you can't get it all. But anything you try can be a proper experience :D

      Delete
  5. I really like your post because I love Indian cuisine. Its tastes and smells. I've been to India 3 times, each time in a different region, and I could still come back to try more flavors. So, I'm impressed by your work. I want to try Uttarakhand and Odisha flavors most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Agnes :D Hope you get to try out Uttarakhand and Odisha's dishes on your next trip :)

      Delete
  6. Nothing is more amazing than the flavours and aromas of India's cuisine. And the best part is the variety that changes almost every 100 kilometers or so. Be it the Bal Mithai of Uttarakhand or the Mysore Pak of Karnataka, the flavours of India never fail to enthrall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that!! Flavours and aromas of India's cuisine are the best (and sure can get you hungry)!! And the sheer variety, you can always find something you love :D

      Delete
  7. For a foodie like me this was so refreshing and mouthwatering. I too love to try out the specialities of the place I travel to especially in India. Good to see I have tasted all the food you have mentioned here having traveled extensively in India, a lot on work. One particular dessert that I love from Orissa but not featured here is Chena Poda. Every time I am there I make it a point to have & also carry back for my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I did mention chena poda but my personal favourite from Odisha is actually Manda Pitha, since it was the most made at my household when I was a kid. But you are right, Chena Poda seriously is one of the best sweets from Odisha and I am actually gonna try and make it this weekend. :D

      Delete
  8. This is the first time I've heard of or seen Bal Mithai. It looks pretty unusual, and to me, anything unusual is exciting! I can already imagine the sweetness. Will definitely look for it when I'm in the region.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of Bal Mithai till my visit to Uttarakhand either. :D There are plenty of places in and around Nanitaal where you can try it!

      Delete
  9. India has such amazing flavors! I haven't been there, but I'm a big fan of our local Indian restaurant. Momos are amazing, and the spices are so delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Momos sure are amazing! :D Hope you get a chance to travel to India in near future.

      Delete
  10. Your post is making me hungry! I've been thinking about Gulab Jamun since the last few days and drooling and now I see your post! I need Gulab Jamun. Bal Mithai made by slow-cooking Khoya? I need to find its recipe and try that out. I'm also drooling over Dhokla. A couple months back my Gujarati friend made a box for me. I need to try to make that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Bal Mithai is slow cooked Khoya! Hope you get the recipe and also get a chance to make it. :D

      Delete
  11. Nice post.
    Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience with us. Loved your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my God I am hungry now and I stopped at the gulab jamoons. They look so amazingly delicious. There is nothing like Indian food and its flavours. After living out of India, I have started to appreciate Indian food more and I crave so much for some good Indian food and its spices.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think Odisha has the best delicacies! :) The platter of pithas looks really delicious. Chenna Poda sounds great too as I love cottage cheese. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many amazing looking dishes, I really want to try them all. I've always wanted to visit India, in part because of the delicious food, and this makes me want to go even more. I love all the sweets!

    ReplyDelete
  15. With next week Diwali celebrations, I have been looking at Indian food to learn more about the culture as I have never had the chance to visit unfortunately. I love how you have been sharing some historical facts for each region, and I learned a lot about the different flavours. I have my eyes on the Sikkim's region and the Momos that look so good! Any idea where I can find a recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  16. As an foodie, I loved your post and droolling over some of my favorite dishes. I know India is very diverse when it comes to food and there are so many staple food from every region. Jhalmuri from Bengal and Dhokla from Gujarat are my favorite. I never tasted Pithas from Odisha but now have to give it a try as they look very tempting. Momos of North east India is also another favorite of my. Bal Mithai looks like Milk cake or Dhoda barfi. I don't know how bal mithai tastes like.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The soup in Sikkim looks delicious. I am not afraid to try new things, but sometimes you just have no idea what you should be trying. This was such an amazing and well thought out post for different items to experience. Thank you so much for sharing. Hopefully I'll make it to India one day to give some of these suggestions a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Indian food but when I was already in India, I realized how the different states have different cuisine. In Rajasthan, I didn't really like the food but when I went South, I was able to recognize some familiar flavours! I hope you can share some recipes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Indian food so much and as much as I've eaten over the years, I know I haven't even eaten 1% of all the delish Indian food lol. This post just reminded me that I'm due for the only take-out I order - Indian!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment