Five Dishes to Try When in The United States!


Five Dishes to Try When in The United States! Check out these amazing traditional savory delights from the US. #USA #US #Food #Traditional #FoodTravel #TravelGuide
Food love? Pin It!!!
When I moved to the United States of America, I had absolutely no idea about any ‘dishes of the US’. During my first eat out with my roommates we had a conversation around how mac and cheese was so American and so were cheeseburgers, but that was it. About half a year later I was introduced to various cheesecakes for the very first time and fell in love with them but didn’t realize they were invented in the US. Sometime in the past couple of months, I saw an episode of Great British Bake Off where they gave a slight background about Baked Alaska, and I suddenly realized that too was a gift from this country! Now four years of being in the US, having traveled quite a bit here, I know of some super unique, must have dishes when in the US because well most are dishes from the US! So here it is, my list of five dishes to try when in the US with their whys and wheres!!!

Popovers!!!

1.   Popovers – If there is any place in the US that I want to revisit just for a dish, it is Jordan Pond House in Acadia National Park and the dish is Popovers! So how could I not recommend these soft buttery rolls in this list! Popovers, inspired by Yorkshire pudding (British) and were part of almost every meal in New England. They are egg batter bread rolls/muffins with a thin papery outer shell and dense buttery core which were traditionally eaten with jams or curried meat, depending on the meal they were part of but I have eaten it just with jams and whipped cream and they are a treat for your senses. Today, popovers are available in selected cafes and bakeries in the New England states, but it is believed to have been invented in Maine. And in the blueberry state (Maine is called that because of its heavy production of Blueberries) popovers are served with butter and blueberry jelly and are just irresistible! I have had popovers in two other places, (in Adirondacks area of New York), but if you want to grab a bite of these muffin rolls, head to Jordan Pond House and you will not be able to forget their taste for a long time I promise! Afterall Popovers have been a part of this place’s tradition and menu since 1895!

Cornbread and other stuff from Corrado's in New York City
2.  Cornbread - And talking about traditions and bread, let’s talk about a bread that was part of this land even before the new world settlers! Maize or corn had always been an integral part of North America’s food habits and cornmeal was literally the base of every meal in form of arepas, tortilla etc. One of those Native American dish was Cornbread - a simple combination of cornmeal and water that was slow baked and enjoyed for breakfast. And this is the next dish I would recommend trying out in the US! It might not sound like a very appealing bread but trust me, it is, because while other cornmeal-based breads were not modified much, with time and influence of the new settlers, cornbread evolved. Cornbread available now a days is made with cornmeal, buttermilk, sometimes eggs and baking powder, and is more like a tea cake than a simple bread. Cornbreads are available in bakeries all over the US these days, but in the southern states it is accompanied with molasses while northern states serve it as a treat with jam, butter and honey – and this is actually the way I like more and is the way I would recommend too! Oh, I can give you one way to spend a lazy afternoon in New York City - grab a piece of cornbread with coffee from Corrado Bread & Pastry and head for a walk in Central Park. Just a suggestion…

Corn chowder has become a staple for me during this summer
3.  Chowder – Another dish that has been part of ‘this land’ even before US was a country is Chowder. New England’s shores were blessed with seafood like clams and lobsters, and back in the early 17th century early settlers aka the Pilgrims, turned to delicious clams and combined with the potatoes and onions they had gotten with them – boiled them with milk in an iron pot or cauldron/ chaudiére and lo and behold, Clam Chowder was invented! The broth of the soup was called chowder and with time, people started cooking fish, lobsters, tomatoes and corn in the same way and all the famous chowders available to us today were invented. Today chowders are one of the most famous soups in the US and there are many versions of each variety, or instance clam chowder alone has different versions called Manhattan Clam Chowder, New England Chowder, Long Island Chowder, Delaware Chowder etc. No matter how many varieties and version you have of chowder, the fact remains that sea-flavored chowder was invented in New England and so you need to try it out in Maine, Massachusetts or Rhode Island! But if you are not planning on visiting the east coast, Clam Chowder in Seattle or San Francisco could also give you a taste of history with a flavor of Pacific North West! And vegetarians, worry not, corn chowder is just as tasty as (if not more) clam chowder; hence my recommendation was Chowder and not Clam Chowder you see.

Crab Cakes (source)
4.  Crab Cake – And taking advantage of the rich marine life of the Atlantic and age-old dish of native Americans, settlers of Maryland and Virginia defined their culinary identity – say hello to Crab Cakes! Traditionally crab cakes in the Chesapeake Bay area (today’s Maryland and Virginia) were made with blue crab meat – removed from the shell by hand, mixed with eggs and local spices, rolled into balled and sautéed. This recipe was adopted by the settlers who added breadcrumbs and mustard to the recipe and the crab cakes were fried or broiled or sautéed the old way – result of each method called crab cake. And while the dish was invented in the east with blue crabs, Pacific coast states adopted this recipe with their local crabs, and I had one of these crab cakes in Seattle for my first ever tryst with crab. It wasn’t even a very fancy seafood place, but you can already guess how much I liked it by seeing crab cakes in this list right? Unfortunately, for the same reason, I can’t really suggest a place to try this American seafood delicacy, but anywhere in the North Eastern states or Pacific states you should be in for a treat.

Deep Dish Delish (source)
5.  Deep Dish Pizza – When you think of the US and unique dishes of the US, not many would think of pizzas being something American. But thanks to the huge wave of Italian immigrants in the late 1800s (during Italian Unification Wars) Pizza and in general Italian cuisine became a loved part of American life. Now we have New York Style Pizza, California Style Pizza, Detroit Style Pizza, New England Greek Pizza and so many more. But probably the most famous of these “Italian American pizzas” was invented in Chicago in 1943 at Pizzeria Uno – The Chicago Deep Dish Pizza! Like the name suggests this pizza is made in a deeper dish like a pie mold, with inverted layers of cheese, spicy meat sausages, and marinara sauce’ the only reason it is not a pie is because it has a crunchy crust. And now, this Deep Dish Pizza is a culinary icon of Chicago and there is also a National Deep Dish Pizza Day celebrated every year on April 5 – enough reasons for you to give it a try right? I personally am yet to try the traditional (meat) deep dish pizza but I can give you recommendations by my friends – when in Chicago, eat like Chicago at Pizzeria Uno, Giordano’s Restaurant and Pizzeria, and Pizzeria Due! And vegetarians, here is my recommendation for you to try the 21st century twist to the Chicago Deep Dish – head to Chicago Style Vegan or Kitchen 17 for a gooey vegan treat in Chicago style!

There are a lot more unique spicy, flavourful, savoury dishes that have made them signature culinary dishes of some particular states of the US, thus a must have when in the country. And no, I am not talking about hamburgers, but I am talking more about dishes like Hawaii’s Poke Bowls, Maine’s Lobster Rolls, Louisiana’s Jambalaya and Gumbo (Disney fans, remember Tiana making Gumbo with her father?) I am yet to try these dishes, but from the list of what I have tried and loved, I hope I was able to give you a tour of the US through food and also given you some ideas about where to try them!


Five Dishes to Try When in The United States! Check out these amazing traditional savory delights from the US. #USA #US #Food #Traditional #FoodTravel #TravelGuide
Liked the post? Pin It!


Comments

  1. yummy!!! it might be surprising to most people, but the US has some typical dishes other than pizza and burgers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! There are quite a few really cool local 'US' dishes to try out!

      Delete
  2. Cornbread is a staaaaple! I absolutely love it! I had it for the first time a few years ago and I've been addicted to it. Pizza is also at the top of my list, I'm not a fan of NY style honestly, but I love me Boston pizza! I'll definitely be adding popovers to my list to try, I've never heard of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really tried the Boston style. Totally gonna try it on my next visit there! And I can so relate to you - cornbread with marmalades are surely addictive!

      Delete
  3. I understand how hard it is to determine what is really a local country dish. We think of maple syrup as Canadians but there are many place in the U.S. that would challenge us. I do love the variety of chowder variations you find on the east and west coasts. And as seafood lovers, we always try the local crab cakes. I am a fan of very thin Italian style pizza. So have avoided deep dish pizzas. But when we went to Chicago, I just had to try one. Ok for a break but I still like mine authentic to Italian style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, it is often very difficult to pin point one food origins. However, food versions that have evolved in specific areas makes the dishes must try in those areas! And I too am a thin crust traditional pizza person but deep dish was an experience for sure!

      Delete
  4. Interesting to read about these food types. I didn't know Deep Dish pizza was a USA dish and not Italian! Popovers look cute, like pastry mushrooms. I would definitely want to try that!!! Probably a year back, I tried making Cornbread at home. Again didn't know its an American dish as well. But yeah, I can imagine it with Corn being widely grown there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Popovers are super cute and yum! And I didn't know cornbread was American either before coming here.

      Delete
  5. These are all great American foods! I love deep dish pizza myself, but boy is it filling! It'll sneak up on you quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally does! I struggle to finish even a single slice!

      Delete
  6. Pop overs and deep dish pizza sound so good - i didn't know about most of these meals so saving for when i go back!! Thanks ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Popovers are probably my favourite New England - American dish!!

      Delete
  7. Such great ideas for people who have never visited the US and want to know about their cusine. Personally, I always love trying Chowder and Corn Bread! So good and yummy and proves it's more than cheeseburgers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally try Chowder in the easter states! US seriously has much more than cheeseburgers.

      Delete
  8. Yes to all of these! I love trying the regional styles of pizza in the U.S. and deep dish is definitely one of my faves :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who doesn't like pizzas and all the variations of pizzas, right?!?

      Delete
  9. OMG, some many yummy dishes in there. I grew up in PA, and have tried all of those mentioned except popovers....so you are saying I need too, right,? They sound delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally need to!!! :D And Maine isn't too far!

      Delete
  10. interesting to read, wonder if we should call these american or americanized? All of them have either Native American or European origin. Nonetheless, love cornbread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, most of them had non American origins but these dishes or atleast the current forms evolved in America and have become what they not just in US, but all around the world because of how they evolved in the country. So guess that makes them American. Regardless of how we see the origins or their history, they are some of the must try dishes in the country :)

      Delete
  11. Wow! This post definitely made me hungry and the deep dish pizza looks really delicious. I did not know there was even a Dish Pizza Day but would love to try one soon. Very timely since I am visiting my cousins in Chicago soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah! Hope you get to go pizzeria hopping in Chicago on some Dish Pizza day since your cousins stay in Chicago!

      Delete
  12. This is so interesting! I lived in New Hampshire which is part of New England but I’ve never heard about Popovers! I did heard about Chowder but for some reasons I could not force myself to try it 😀 theres is a lot of different dishes in America than just hamburgers and mac and cheese but I still think Asian or Mexican kitchen is much better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so interesting! We tried searching for a popover place near Vermont - New Hampshire border last year and couldn't find one. Apart from Maine we have had popovers only in Boston and Whitehall in New York. Guess, the dish slowly lost its popularity over time, but some places are bringing back the old dish to limelight now! And yes, being an Asian myself, I can't deny I love Asian food better, but there are some really interesting dishes in American Kitchens!

      Delete
  13. The US is really big and every state is probably has their own unique dish. I know that chowder is from the New England. I like it, but I believe it will taste better when you eat it in the area. Cornbread is good, but when the corn taste is really strong, I don't like it. It's good that you don't put Mac n Cheese in the list. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I never developed a taste for Mac n Cheese to be frank. I usually find cornbread pretty subtle in flavour which is actually its USP, so like you, even I like cornbread when the corn taste is not very strong!

      Delete
  14. I was knowing burgers and deep dish pizzas from USA. But good to know some authentic food from US and how their history behind from your article. I would now taste corn bread too when I visit US next time. It would really a nice tip by you to have a piece of cornbread with coffee from Corrado Bread & Pastry and taking stroll in Central Park. J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found the article interesting!! You should totally try out Corrado's bakes!

      Delete
  15. I love your suggestions! You are right that popovers at Jordan Pond have a special magic to them. And did you know that there are several kinds of chowder? Manhattan Clam Chowder has a tomato base, New England Clam Chowder has a white base. Both are good, but very different. Corn bread definitely has regional differences too. Sometimes it's sweeter, sometimes saltier. Sometimes they include whole kernels of corn in it and other times, not. It's definitely fun to explore them all! Thanks for sharing your discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jordan Pond is the place! I knew there were different kinds but I didn't know Manhattan chowder has a tomato base. I always thought it also had a white base but some different recipe to make the chowder in general. Will definitely research a bit about cornbread version and try them out since I really fell in love with the sweeter version! Thanks for the information :)

      Delete

Post a Comment